Sometimes, no, let’s make that most of the time, writing and publishing can be frustrating. Just about the time you think you have things right, something happens. But more on that in a moment.
Alli’s and my first booksigning event for “Uncle Bill’s Farm” is in the record books. I loved telling people who stopped at our table that I wrote the book with my granddaughter. Getting Alli to talk was another thing. She can be shy, and when she did say something, it was hard to hear her.
One of things I had her do was sign the seventy-eight books I had with me. Then, of course, she made me sign them, too. I didn’t have the heart to tell her I’d sign them as they were bought. I did let her use my special pen a friend gave to me for signing books.
But, it turns out all that signing was for naught. Last week I picked up the proof for “Uncle Bill’s Farm.” Everything looked good except for a few borders the printer had to fix. I gave the go ahead for printing, and Friday I picked up the books. Because of all the political flyers and things Jim had to get done, he only had time to print seventy-eight books. Thank goodness for that.
Saturday morning came. I got all set up at the kids’ school and waited for my co-author. Alli and her friend came in, and the first thing they said was, “We found a mistake.” My stomach dropped. I felt ill. If there is one thing I can’t stand is having an error in one of my books. The mistake was on a page that I changed the wording. I used the words “the chickens” twice in one paragraph, decided to remove one and substitute the word “they.” I forgot to remove the word “the,” so the sentence had “the they” side-by-side. I was devastated, but Jim (the printer) said it was an easy fix.
Then last night my daughter called me to tell me she found three errors. OMG!!!!!!!!!!!! One was one I knew I had fixed before the proof printing, one was the mentioned above and one was one nobody had found—except Becca. I tossed and turned all night worrying about how the one error had shown up in the printed books, but wasn’t in the proof. How were we going to fix the others? What would people think when they saw the mistakes?
This morning I had to send the printer the file for “The Hat Peddler,” via an on-line transfer site. I couldn’t get the darn thing to work. I was still obsessing about the errors in the other book and worrying “The Hat Peddler” wasn’t perfect. The night before I read the text frontward and backward—twice.
Then I found the proof to “Uncle Bill’s Farm,” and low and behold, the first mistake was correct on the proof. Since I couldn’t send Jim the file, I drove thirty miles to his office with proof and new book in hand. Neither one of us could figure out what happened, but we think he may have printed from the wrong file.
I believe there is a reason for everything. Since he hadn’t bound any of the additional books, yet, I was able to make the corrections, and give him a new file. He’s printing the three new pages and inserting them in the book before cutting and binding. Yay. “Uncle Bill’s Farm” should now be error free.
I have a good idea on who bought the book over the past few days. They are all going to get the new version. Friday I pick up the new books along with “The Hat Peddler.” Now all I have to do is get rid of that nagging knot in my stomach, get Alli to sign books again, and get some sleep.
To order both books go to: tinasusedik.com