The Best Laid Plans

Being a rather organized person, on Sunday nights I write down what I want/have to accomplish during the week. I need to have a concrete picture of what my week will look like. Throughout the week, it gives me great satisfaction to cross off each completed item. On the other hand, if I have to transfer a job to the next week, I wonder what happened that I didn’t complete my goals. My daughter once asked me if I thought it was cheating to add things you’ve done that weren’t on the original list. I’m a great believer in that.

I try hard not to let little things interrupt my work. I check to see who is calling before I answer the phone. I only read at lunch and my house duties get done early mornings before I hit my office. It’s the bigger things that sabotage my work – I think.

This week, or should I say, this past month, I had every intention of getting my edits done quickly and off to my editor. Some days, I’m happy to say, I got a lot done. Other days – not so much and I wonder what the heck happened. Take this past Thursday for instance. I had no plans to go anywhere and do nothing but edit. Then Wednesday I threw my back out and received a past-due notice for our phone bill. Both irritated me to no end.

Receiving a past-due notice may not seem like such a big deal, but what really bugged me was that not paying the bill wasn’t my fault. If I didn’t take care of it right away, we would lose service. To make a long story short, in November, I had the option to switch from paper to e-billing. I chose e-billing and had the phone company set it up for me. I received no bill in December had to take time out from my schedule to go to the phone office (luckily I have the option to deal with real-live people) and deal with that late notice. They assured me I would get a bill in January – which of course I didn’t. So Thursday morning, I had to go into town and find out what was going on. After sitting there for half an hour, they had no idea what was going on. I paid my bill (minus the late fee, which I refused to pay) and went home to work. They called later that morning, having figured out they made a mistake entering my information and had to spend another half an hour on the phone getting things straightened out.

Throwing my back out meant a trip to the chiropractor. Trip two to town on a day I was to spend at home. The only good thing to come out of that was I was forced to spend the day on a chair (not my desk chair) with heat packs on my back. This gave me the opportunity to spend the remainder of the day editing. Friday meant another trip to the chiropractor (had no intentions of going to town that day, either) and another day on the chair. Being an active person, all this sitting was getting to me, but I did get a lot of work done. A visit from the water conditioner man did interrupt my work.

The point of all this is that, no matter how hard we try to set a schedule for ourselves, life intrudes. I received my edit changes on December 17th. Yesterday, after finally sending them off to my editor, I wondered what on earth took me so long. Then I realized there was Christmas, New Years, baking, company, taking care of grandkids for a week, sinus infection, doctor’s appointments,illnesses, friends, family, meetings, etc., etc., etc.

So when I’m done blogging, I will make my list for the week – having finally crossed off some things from last week. Life has a way of changing even the best laid plans and I wonder how much I’ll really get done. Guess that’s what makes life interesting.


Leave a comment

Filed under Goals, Reflection, Writing

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s